The Barnes Memorial Hall was built in 1924. The Hall is the centre of the Somerton Social scene and, over the years, has hosted many memorable events, group meetings and gatherings and historical occasions. In December 2008, the Big Lottery Fund granted the trustees of the hall £311,000 to rebuild the hall for the use of the village. In May 2010 the work was finally complete and the new hall was officially opened at a ceremony attended by many villages, past and present.
ORIGINS OF THE VILLAGE HALL – J WEBB
The sale of the village in 1919 would appear to have been be the catalyst for the Rector to set about leaving a lasting memorial to his work in the parish which, judging by the church records available spanned forty six years, with the last wedding officiated by the Rector being that of Owen Charles Hind to Nancy Brown in September 1922. During his incumbency of the living from the diocese it was obvious to the Rector that there was no dedicated meeting place available for the villagers and, short of using a spare barn on one of the farms, the Railway Tavern in Water Street, or the Reading Room that had been constructed down the lane by number three Church Street, no Village Hall or dedicated meeting place was available or envisaged for the community […] CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING THIS ARTICLE
THE BARNES FAMILY – J WEBB
Dr Barnes was Rector of Somerton from 1875 to 1923. This article by John Webb focuses on his work in the community. Under his stimulus the family were also most generous in their support for the church where he left good evidence of his support for the Arts and Crafts and Pre-Raphaelite movements. He commissioned the wonderful choir stalls in the chancel and, to commemorate William Barnes who appointed him, the window at the east end of the North aisle by Christopher Whall[…] CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING THIS ARTICLE